Mar 7, 2011

Advice on traveling with a chronic illness and the Festival de Boyeros

Since we don't have much going on this week, my post is going to focus more on advice than happenings, but I am also going to touch on a cultural event that we went to. Because I only have pictures from the parade this week, I will put up my Festival de Boyeros pictures next week with my Montezuma and dancing pictures.

As some of you may or may not know, I have a chronic illness, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, which became a large deciding factor in my study abroad process. This week, I want to talk to you all about what I’ve found to be the biggest challenges in studying abroad with an illness, discuss the things that you need to prepare for the most, and give some overall advice on how to deal with your illness while abroad (because yes, as I am proving, it is completely 100% possible to study abroad even if you have a complex medical condition or disability).

No matter where you go in the world, it is going to be possible for you to find medical care, so don’t worry that you are going to get there and not have what you need. You’ll be able to get whatever treatment necessary. The important thing comes down to setting up as much of a basis as you can before you leave. Make sure to speak with your doctors and your study abroad program about your medical needs, because your in-country director is going to be your best asset in finding a suitable doctor if you end up needing one while abroad. I need to be checked out about once a month while here, so I started the conversation with Janiva directly after acceptance into Sol because I knew we were going to need someone on duty when I got here.

It also helps to start discussing with your doctors ahead of time what your plans are, because you may need to compile your medical history. Things like latest lab results, doctors notes, vaccination and immunization records, along with a medication and recent procedures lists. All of these things are available through your doctors’ databases and if they are given enough heads-up, they can help you get all the information you might need. If nothing else, it is important to have a list of your current medications and their dosages so that the doctors that you see abroad know your current treatment regimen.

Dealing with your insurance really becomes the hardest part. Make sure to talk to your caseworker before you leave so that you can find out if you can be covered internationally. Also, you need to know what to get from the doctors that you see abroad to make sure that your international costs are covered. I think that everyone know how much of a pain insurance companies can be about specifics, and it can be difficult to get exactly what they want, but you have to do what you can. My insurance company needs a detailed doctor’s note and receipt, both in English and broken down into US dollars. I haven’t had any issues yet getting a doctor’s note in English, but the receipt can be difficult because usually it is just a printer that is pre-programmed in colones and Spanish. I haven’t been able to get one printed in English yet, but I’m hoping that I can just write in the translation and that that will be good enough.

In general terms, communication is the key. You have to take responsibility for yourself and your health. If you are old enough to be studying abroad for a semester, then you should have a pretty good handle on your healthcare. Make sure to keep your doctors informed of what is going on with you as much as possible, along with your program director. Most importantly, remember to not let your health problems keep you from doing what you want to do. I’ve had a lot of health issues in the few years and a lot of people didn’t understand why I would choose to go away now. But the answer is simple: “why not.” If there is one thing that being Sick teaches you, it is that there is never going to be a convenient or easy time to do anything remotely worth doing. So just do it. But of course, be smart. Know your limits. But never limit yourself.

Festival de Boyeros

Ok, so the big interesting thing that we did this weekend was go to Escazu on Sunday for the Festival de Boyeros, which is a parade of oxcarts that starts in Escazu Centro and goes up the mountain side to a little village where there is a party with food and dancing. We didn’t go to the party, because we didn’t want to walk alongside the carts, but the actual parade was a lot of fun. We got there early to try to get a good viewing point and go to watch all of the carts go by.

The Festival de Boyeros is a tradition all throughout Costa Rica. There are various parades throughout the year; however, they only happen once a year in each city. I know that I have talked about the oxcarts before, mostly in relation to Sarchi, and I still find them remarkably beautiful and intricate. They are more or less a coat of arms for the families of Costa Rica. Each oxcart has its own design (although to the untrained eye, they can all seem very similar) that is specific to a family.

So, the Festival is very colorful and is a lot of fun because you get to see all the different carts. There is also music and people dress up in costumes. And all of the men are dressed in their western best, with big belt buckles and fancy boots and machetes. Some of the women were even in traditional campesino clothing, which in Costa Rica is a white dress with multicolored stitching.

Also on Sunday, one of my host family’s prior students came. She is in Costa Rica until March 23 and is staying here for part of her trip. It is really interesting to see how they interact, because it kind of gives me an idea. We sat and talked and she made me feel less guilty about the fact that I like to sit on my computer and have “me time” during the day. Apparently, she was similar and she has a wonderful relationship with my host family, so that makes me feel good because I want to have a relationship with them after I leave, too.

So yeah, that is all of the excitement for this week. This week should be more interesting. We have a dance class on Monday, are going to a country club for a picnic on Wednesday, and the Friday through Sunday we are going to Montezuma, which is in Guanacaste.

Hope everyone who is on spring break is having a wonderful time!

Pura Vida.

No comments:

Post a Comment