Jan 12, 2011

Learning to Dance

So last night we had a dance class where we learned how to do the Salsa, Merengue, and Costa Rican Cumbia. It was incredible to really learn how to dance since it isn't something that people in the U.S. know how to formally do anymore. In middle school, I avoided dances like the plague, but I grew to love them in High School and now in college I go to as many of my sorority's functions as possible because I just love how much fun dancing can be.

We met up at the University and our instructor, Carlos, started with the merengue because, according to him, it’s the easiest. And now, as I look back, I guess it probably is, when you're dancing by yourself. It's a lot more complicated with a partner, but isn't everything? Some people really got the hang of it quickly. I'm not as graceful so it took a little while.

I think everyone struggled with the cumbia. It seems really easy at first, but for some reason it was really hard, haha. But then again, Carlos made everything seem really easy, even though he was dancing with girls who had never done any of it before. The salsa was probably the easiest for me because it is a pretty basic rhythm. I thought it was easier with a partner than alone though, because it was easier for me to keep in time with the steps.

After our class we went to a discotecta (which is more or less a dance club) and we actually put to use what we had learned. It was a lot of fun dancing ourselves and watching the locals dance. They really know what they are doing. Costa Ricans dance like they live, with lots of energy and smoothness and just an all-around sense of "no day but today" to quote RENT.

We all danced with each other and a few of us danced with locals. Carlos made a point of dancing with each of the ladies in our group and teaching us how to do a dance that we didn't learn in the classroom.

Catie and I decided that we definitely want to go back during the semester. It will be interesting to see if we can really learn over time how to do these dances.

I think it’s really important to take advantages of opportunities like this when you study abroad. Every aspect of the culture is an integral part of understanding a group of people and even truly learning their language.

Tonight I have yoga with Anna, and tomorrow I have marketing and then Anna and I are going to the spa at 2. Friday we say farewell to all of the winter break students, except Mark, who will be here through next week, then Saturday and Sunday we are going to Arenal Volcano and La Fortuna waterfall.

Next week we are going to a Toucan Rescue Ranch, which I am really excited for. We are volunteering there so hopefully I will get a chance to work with some of the animals.

Pues, hasta manaña!
See you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment